Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Portrait of Cecilia

Portrait of Cecilia - 6 x 6 Oil on Arches Oil Paper

30 in 30 day 7.  This is actually a portrait I did a few weeks ago at my weekly figure painting group.  I was having trouble with my canvas, as I had only applied one coat of gesso, and the paint was just getting sucked right in.  So I pulled out my Arches Oil Paper, which I had not had occasion to try yet.  Well, it kinda sucked the paint right in also, but I kept going and I am pretty happy with it.  Her face looks like oil, but the surrounding areas look like watercolor.

Another thing I found was that the paper doesn't take varnish well, it sucks the varnish in too.  So the areas with thicker paint are glossy, and the surrounding areas matt.  Well, I guess it was a good experiment.  I am still going to enter this one into a local show, along with another figure painting.  I haven't entered any shows in over two years, so excited to get back into that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment